A primary goal of the Melbourne University Electrical Engineering Club (MUEEC) is to be inclusive to the largest number of contributors, with the most varied and diverse backgrounds possible. As such, we are committed to providing a friendly, safe and welcoming environment for all, regardless of gender, sexual orientation, ability, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, and religion (or lack thereof).
This code of conduct outlines our expectations for all those who participate in our community, both in their physical and online interactions, as well as the consequences for unacceptable behavior.
We invite all those who participate in MUEEC affiliated events to help us create safe and positive experiences for everyone.
MUEEC demonstrates its commitment to these values:
- MUEEC seeks to treat everyone with courtesy and be considerate towards others in all circumstances. MUEEC promotes the wellbeing and safety of all those who participate in MUEEC affiliated events at all times.
- Inclusivity and accessibility
- MUEEC aims to treat people fairly, and to work to create an environment that promotes mutual respect and accessibility. This involves being culturally inclusive, and actively working to be aware of the specialised needs of others and ensuring events are accessible.
- MUEEC seeks to be consistent in fulfilling any tasks and roles required of the club in a timely manner and to a satisfactory standard. This includes the respectful treatment of power relationships, and not misusing funds or other privileges provided by UMSU and Clubs and Societies, the Melbourne School of Engineering, and all our sponsors.
- Transparency and accountability
- MUEEC aims to act with integrity when dealing with all club matters and promotes a trusting relationship between all parties by communicating openly.
3. Expected Behaviour
The following behaviors are expected and requested of all community members:
- Participate in an authentic and active way.
- Exercise consideration and respect in your speech and actions, while treating others with respect and dignity without showing any preference or deference in detriment to others.
- Behave respectfully, courteously and ethically towards others.
- Respect the opinions and beliefs of others.
- Attempt collaboration before conflict.
- Refrain from demeaning, discriminatory, or harassing behavior and speech.
- Be mindful of your surroundings and of your fellow participants. Alert the MUEEC committee if you notice a dangerous situation, someone in distress, or violations of this Code of Conduct, even if they seem inconsequential.
- Remember that community event venues may be shared with members of the public; please be respectful to all patrons of these locations.
- Comply with University policies and processes, and any reasonable directions by the University of Melbourne.
4. Unacceptable Behavior
The following behaviors are considered harassment and are unacceptable within our community:
- Violence, threats of violence or violent language directed against another person.
- Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
- Posting or displaying sexually explicit or violent material.
- Posting or threatening to post other people’s personally identifying information (“doxing”).
- Personal insults, particularly those related to gender, sexual orientation, race, religion, or disability.
- Inappropriate photography or recording.
- Inappropriate physical contact. You should have someone’s consent before touching them.
- Unwelcome sexual attention. This includes, sexualized comments or jokes; inappropriate touching, groping, and unwelcomed sexual advances.
- Deliberate intimidation, stalking or following (online or in person).
- Advocating for, or encouraging, any of the above behavior.
- Sustained disruption of community events, including talks and presentations.
5. Consequences of Unacceptable Behavior
Unacceptable behavior from any community member, including sponsors and those with decision-making authority, will not be tolerated.
Anyone asked to stop unacceptable behavior is expected to comply immediately.
If a community member engages in unacceptable behavior, MUEEC may take any action they deem appropriate depending on the severity of the breach. This can involve up to and including a temporary ban or permanent expulsion from the community without warning (and without refund in the case of a paid event).
MUEEC has a zero tolerance policy for bullying, harassment, sexual harassment, stalking,
victimisation, vilification, child abuse, or any form of unlawful dealing with a child. At the discretion of the MUEEC committee, unacceptable behaviour may be reported directly to the University of Melbourne and in more severe cases, to the relevant authorities.
6. Reporting Guidelines
If you are subject to or witness unacceptable behavior, or have any other concerns, please notify a community organizer as soon as possible (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Additionally, the MUEEC committee are available to help community members engage with local law enforcement or to otherwise help those experiencing unacceptable behavior feel safe. In the context of in-person events, organizers will also provide escorts as desired by the person experiencing distress.
7. Addressing Grievances
If you feel you have been falsely or unfairly accused of violating this Code of Conduct, you should notify the committee of MUEEC with a concise description of your grievance. Your grievance will be handled in accordance with the existing governing policies of the University of Melbourne and UMSU.
We expect all community participants (contributors, paid or otherwise; sponsors; staff; committee; and other guests) to abide by this Code of Conduct in all community venues–online and in-person–as well as in all one-on-one communications pertaining to MUEEC business.
This code of conduct and its related procedures also applies to unacceptable behavior occurring outside the scope of community activities when such behavior has the potential to adversely affect the safety and well-being of community members.
9. Contact info
For any queries, please contact email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
10. License and attribution
This Code of Conduct is adapted from citizencodeofconduct.org, which is distributed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike license.